Saturday, October 1, 2011

New Inbetweeners?

Today I went clothes shopping with my friends, Kim & Terri.  I was confronted with the horrible problem facing women my age:  suitability.

Clothing for women basically comes in a two "styles":  suitable for 20-somethings or suitable for grandmothers.  As we strolled through the store, I kept seeing things and thinking "ooh, I like that!  Oh, wait...it's too young for me" and "yeesh...that's matronly".  I ended up finding some generic black pants and a generic green sweater.  Sort of sporty, but plain. 

I know I'm 49, but in my head I usually think of my self around 35.  I don't feel "old" (okay, some days I do), and most people say I don't look my age.  But...if I would to try to wear those young-looking fashions I would look ridiculous.  And if I went with the matronly fashions I would feel lousy.  Why isn't there a middle ground for us??  I mean...have you tried to buy a pair of jeans lately?  They are "distressed" with all kinds of sequins and stuff on them; funky dye patterns with highly embroidered pockets; or totally plain with tapered legs that NO woman should EVER wear.  *sigh*

In the Old Ways, there is The Triple Goddess:  celebrating the three phases of feminine existence - maiden, mother, and crone.  The problem is the world has changed and we live much longer than before.  We are stuck into the crone phase for a very long time now.  Can't we find a 4th level - something to go between mother and crone? 

We are Inbetweeners.  Too old for motherhood, but not the wise women crones are expected to be.  We aren't trying to hide from our age, but not be pushed into a catagory we aren't quite ready for yet.  And I would like to be able to wear clothes that don't make me look ridiculous.

No comments: