Sunday, April 7, 2013

Stop the Shame


I have a confession to make:  I’m fat.  I know….it’s a horrible sin.  We’re lazy, dirty, selfish, and ignorant.  At least that is the general public opinion. 

The funny thing is…I’m not lazy, dirty, selfish, or ignorant.  Well, okay….I can be a couch potato, I’m a lousy housekeeper, I can have selfish moments, and there are things I don’t know much about…like country music.  However, in general, I am a hard worker, I shower daily, I strive to be helpful to others, and I am highly educated and try to learn something new every day.  But…I’m still fat.
 
I’ve been working on lots of “stuff” over the past year or so:  emotional issues and personal demons.  I’ve come to terms with many things.  It’s been hard work and I’m very proud of the work I’ve done, and the direction I’ve moved my life in lately.  The big thing that I am now facing is my weight.

As I’ve started on this particular journey, I’ve been trying to sort out how and why I’ve gotten to the weight I’m at now.  There are so many reasons – not the least of which is my feelings of unimportance; of not feeling good enough.  These feelings are in direct conflict with my sense of self and my knowledge of my level of ability.  I’ve struggled with these things my entire life.  Right now, I am trying to clear these “beliefs” that I have created for myself that are “untruths”.  And that brings me back to my weight.

 I know that I need to lose weight.  I know all the reasons.  But I can’t seem to make myself to it.  Why not?  One of the things is, I know that with my bone structure and my age, I will never be what society sees as thin.  Back in college, I had lost 80 pounds and was just short of my goal weight of 150.  I had accomplished this by exercising like a crazy person and only eating 800 calories per day.  In spite of all this, I had people sneer at me in the street, made fun of by other students, and had a teacher tell me I needed to lose more weight if I wanted to be accepted as a musician.  “It makes audiences uncomfortable to see overweight musicians.”  Yes…seriously.  I was starving myself and it wasn’t good enough.  I wasn’t good enough….

 And now, we are at today. In trying to figure out how to start on this journey, I’ve become increasingly aware of the stigma and the portrayal of the overweight in our society.  Just look at the flurry of photos of pregnant celebrities; hoping to show them looking fat.  I applaud Michelle Obama’s desire to deal with childhood obesity, but does it have to be called “a war”?  Airlines charge overweight people for two seats…but only after they get on the plane.  They are informed, in front of all the other passengers, they must purchase another seat or they will be removed from the plane.

Facebook is now making suggestions for pages they think we should “like”.  In fact, they are getting paid to put those links on our home feeds.  I keep getting these horrible Dr. Oz weight loss pages…always accompanied with a photo of an extremely large woman.  I usually click the little box on the upper right and report them as spam.  One time, I made the mistake of missing the box and opening the photo and seeing the comments that people made about the woman in the photo.  I should have just closed it, but like watching a train wreck, I couldn’t look away.  There were the usual nasty comments, but one shocked and angered me.  One woman said “how could she allow this to happen to herself?  And how dare she be smiling?  Fat people have no right to smile.” 

 But the final thing for me was a blog of a young woman who has lost about 160 pounds.  And she is miserable.  She was 300 pounds and her doctor told her she needed to lose weight and wanted her to have either gastric bypass or the lap band – I forget which she had.  In her evaluation to make sure she was a good “candidate”, the surgeon said to her “won’t it be wonderful to walk down the aisle of an airplane and not see people looking at you in horror and then hear the sigh of relief when you walk past, knowing you won’t be sitting next to them?”  In her shame, she agreed to the surgery and lost all the weight.  Now….she doesn’t recognize herself anymore, in spite of everyone telling her how wonderful she looks.  All her issues of why she gained the weight still exist and she is no happier now than before. 

When I read that blog, I sobbed.  Why am I feeling I “have to lose this weight”?  Is it because I want to, or because I’m feeling ashamed and shamed into it?  Am I such a horrible person because I’m overweight? 

 On a certain level I want to lose the weight.  My knees hurt, and I want to walk along the cliffs in Devon, England with my friend.  But I know that my weight loss will not hold if I feel ashamed.  Having a doctor yell at me is not the motivation I need.  I do not understand the draw of the reality shows about weight loss.  To have drill instructors yelling and screaming at people, embarrassing them on national television, does not seem to be any way to motivate anyone to lose weight, and KEEP it off.  At the point I’m at in my life, I might just tell that person, as politely as possible, to F-off and then I’d walk out. 

 I know now that I must accept who I am now, regardless of what my weight is.  I must be able to look at myself in the mirror and say HONESTLY that I am a good person, I am worthy, and I am important.  I can say those things, but the insecure person inside isn’t quite ready to listen.  But with some more work, I will get her to hear it.  Then, I will truly work on getting to a weight that I feel healthy and comfortable, without starving myself.  In the meantime, I will continue to do my best to be the best person I can be.  I will also be aware of what I eat, my level of activity, and see about how to help my knees….so I can take that walk with Tracy soon. 

But….society needs to stop shaming people who are overweight.  We are this way for a variety of reasons.  Yelling at us, mocking us, and making fun of us in public is not acceptable.  We are human beings doing the best we can with the issues life have handed us. 

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it asinine that our society that shuns the overweight is the same society that so often encourages overeating (via advertising and special "deals") and eating foods that have no benefit at all to a healthy body? The same society that makes healthy food too expensive for a lot of people to afford, leaving little option but to eat crap, or the foods that pretend to be healthy, but are really just crap. Tasty crap sometimes, but crap nevertheless.

Personally, I get more exercise on a daily basis than a lot of people do, but cannot manage to lose weight unless I starve myself as well. I used to have a phobia about eating in front of other people (still do sometimes) because I thought all they'd see was the fat girl pigging out. My lunches in high school consisted of one, maybe two dinner roles from the salad bar and a carton of skim milk. I guess my point is I know about feeling wretched on this side of the body image fence.

But there are too many variables involved in a person's body type/appearance for the uneducated masses to stare and pass judgment. And there are just too many stupid people in the world for those of us who struggle with various "social issues" to spend time worrying about what those people are thinking about us. I saw a bumper sticker today that actually made me ponder: "Don't believe everything you think." That speaks volumes to someone who lives in her head much of the time, passing judgment on herself and worrying about, well, everything.

Where do we get these ideas that being overweight, or introverted, or somehow just different from the social norm automatically makes us bad people? That's a rhetorical question -- I think we know. Screw society and what it designates as normal. You are beautiful. Your friends think you're beautiful. And Jose thinks you're beautiful. And when you get to the weight that you choose to be at, you'll still be beautiful.

San said...

I totally agree with you, Margie. You are a wonderful person and none of the stereotypes they label overweight people with. Losing weight is not a magic bullet that miraculously cures all of your issues and problem. It took me a long time to love myself as I am. If you want to lose weight for your health, that's great. But don't do it because society or some doctor yells at you. Do it for you. I've been thin, I've been overweight (still am) and I've been in between. I've come to realize I need to find and maintain a healthy lifestyle. If the weight loss comes from that,great, but the appearance is at the bottom of my list of reasons now.

Love yourself as you are. Because you are a fantastic person. If you choose to lose weight for your health, that's great. But your worth as a person has nothing to do with your weight. Hugs to my wonderful friend. You are of great value to this world, my friend, and you are one of the classiest, most beautiful people I know.

Ashley said...

I could have written this, Margie. Because of my height, at my lowest weight of 130 pounds, according to the BMI I was still "overweight". My (now a long time ex) boyfriend referred to me as "kinda fat" to someone. I worked MY ASS OFF to get down to where I was...but like you I experienced nay sayers and judgement. Is it any surprise that 10 years later I've done the weightloss yo yo five times over, and am now literally 100 pounds heavier than my lowest weight?

Sigh.

I wish more people would realize that weight and appearance have no influence on who we are as people. It's so frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Amen. You have nailed it, and those who say "how could he/she let themselves get that way?" are really just projecting. They live in fear of not fitting the status quo and those of us who don't fit that in-shape-upper-middle-class-tapioca-blasé look, thought process, culture scare them. We make them say to themselves, "Wha?! The world is not all little pink houses?! And I AM ignoring 75% of it while I lounge in the vomitorium of American Culture?! Shit, now I have to do something to scratch the surface of who I AM! Stop making me think and feel and worry!" - F&** 'em. - Kim Ward